Thank you for your interest in becoming a Volunteer with the Crisis Counseling 24 hour Hotline Program at Crisis Services! The CCP Hotline Program serves as the center of agency operations, receiving over 100,000 calls annually, and provides immediate access to all Crisis Services Programs including Emergency Outreach and Advocate Programs. Our hotline counselors are trained in telephone lethality assessment to assess the level of individual risk and to determine the appropriate level of services. We provide crisis counseling, suicide prevention, support, information and referral. The CCP Program also provides 24 hour coverage of our Addictions Hotline, Kids Hotline, Chautauqua County Hotline, National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, and serves as the afterhours continuum for specified Mental Health behavioral agencies within Erie County.
Crisis Counseling 24 Hour Hotline Volunteer requirements:
To begin your volunteerism within the CCP Program you are required to:
- Complete 40 hours of classroom training*this classroom training MUST be attended and is not negotiable.
- Complete 4 (5 hr. shifts) immediately after the Classroom Training. These shifts are the first level of the ‘observation phase’ of the Volunteer Training. These training sessions are mandatory and will be scheduled with you and the Volunteer Training Specialist.
- Additionally complete 4 (5 hr. shifts) immediately following the observation phase. These shifts are your 2nd level ‘hands on’ training phase. These training sessions are mandatory and will be scheduled with you and the Volunteer Training Specialist. During this phase of the training, you will be paired with a CCP Lead Staff Phone Counseling Specialist, who will be assisting you in various tasks in relation to hotline work and helping you to prepare for Crisis Phone Counseling:
- Understanding Crisis Services internal referral process
- Learning Phone Lethality Assessment
- Data processing of calls
- Understanding higher level of intervention/diversion
- Working with a CCP team
- Scheduling your Volunteering shifts.
Complete all of the training requirements listed above within the first 2 months immediately after the 40 hours classroom training in order to train at a level designated for volunteer shifts. **Failure to complete these training sessions will result in removal or delayed volunteering from the CCP Volunteer Program**
As a volunteer at Crisis Services it is expected that once you’re training sessions are completed you are required to:
- Work at least 4 (4 hour) shifts every month for the remaining of your first year as a Volunteer in CCP. One of those 4 hour shifts must include (1) overnight or weekend shift per month. .
- Attend clinical supervision once a month (1hr) with your Volunteer Training supervisor during your training shifts
- Attend quarterly volunteer meetings. If you are unable to attend a meeting please let a supervisor know in advance.
**After your 1st year of Volunteering requirements, you may be eligible for opportunities to earn an “advanced certificate” and to become a “volunteer mentor”. More details will be provided as these milestones are met.