The Staggering Statistics:
- The number of individuals’ nation-wide who are homeless in one year?
- The number of Erie County individuals who are homeless in one year?
- The number of homeless individuals nationwide on any given night?
- The number of homeless on any given night in Erie County?
- Buffalo’s rank in the list of American cities with the highest poverty rate?
- The number of people in the United States who have no health insurance?
- The poverty threshold for a family of four?
- The hourly rate a single mother with two small children would have to earn in Erie County to be considered economically self-sufficient?
- So what does Crisis Services Homeless Outreach do about it?
- Prevention Services – Assists qualifying individuals at high risk of becoming homeless
- Case Management & Advocacy at Dept of Social Services
- Prevention services to suburbs & rural areas in Erie County
Outreach in Erie County (where are we?)
- Cornerstone Manor
- Little Portions Friary
- City Mission
- Luke’s’ Mission of Mercy
- Loaves & Fishes Soup Kitchen
- Small towns & villages throughout Erie County
- Food (food pantries, assistance w/food stamp entitlements)
- Limited Transportation
- Seasonal appropriate clothing and blankets when available
- Basic household items & referrals for household item
Case Management Services
- Develop goals (short term & long term)
- Assist client establish an income, if needed
- Assist client obtain identification
- Advocate for clients to receive entitlements
- Assist client find housing & negotiate the best possible rent